Friday, March 8, 2019

Girls with Sharp Sticks

The Girls of Innovations Academy are beautiful and well-behaved—it says so on their report cards. Under the watchful gaze of their Guardians, the all-girl boarding school offers an array of studies and activities, from “Growing a Beautiful and Prosperous Garden” to “Art Appreciation” and “Interior Design.” The girls learn to be the best society has to offer. Absent is the difficult math coursework, or the unnecessary sciences or current events. They are obedient young ladies, free from arrogance or defiance. Until Mena starts to realize that their carefully controlled existence may not be quite as it appears.  As Mena and her friends begin to uncover the dark secrets of what’s actually happening there—and who they really are—the girls of Innovations will find out what they are truly capable of. Because some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns.

Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young - release date March 19, 2019

Based on the name alone, I didn’t know whether or not I would like this book.  But it surpassed my expectations by a lot and I really loved it! This is SUCH a powerful story.  Even just the way it was written pulled me in and if I didn’t have to go to school/sleep I ABSOLUTELY would have finished it in one sitting.  I’ve also seen ARC reviews on Goodreads of people saying the same thing (they finished it in one go).

The characters are my favorite part of the book.  The girls and their sense of community and the love they have for each other is amazing - it’s so strong and something the backwards men in the academy can’t take away from them no matter what they try.  Philomena (Mena) is passionate and very intelligent; Sydney is caring and strong; Annalise is firey and independent; Marcella and Brynn are amazing and their hidden romance is so cute; and Lennon Rose is sweet and full of love.  The academy tries to turn them into obedient and quiet girls who won’t fight back, but they might just get more than they bargain for. Another important character is Mena’s “gas station boyfriend” who tries to help out where he can (so yes there is a bit of romance) but he was important because he taught the girls how men SHOULD be treating them. ALL the men in the academy are extremely sketchy, creepy, and controlling so I hated all of them. They can perfectly be summed up by this quote: "Why do you touch us if you know we don't like it?" The answer is that its a "compliment" for "such beautiful girls" and they should be "grateful." CREEPY. GET AWAY FROM THEM. Once the girls wake up and start fighting back is when it gets really good.

I CAN’T get over how much I loved all the girls.  They are so good together and their devotion to each other is the best thing in the world.  Some of the men claim they are “codependent” on each other, but they only say that because they hate the girls and are determined to make them miserable by separating them from each other.  I also liked the plot twists. The only thing I disliked would be that the plot twists I found very predictable, so when I actually got to them they were not very surprising. However, it did make for some good “AHA/I knew it!” moments.

5 stars for the addicting way it pulls you in and for these amazing girls!!!  I loved it and I feel like everyone else would too. It is such a powerful feminist story and I can’t wait for the sequel!!!  Read in 3 days.
-Taylor
Reviewed on March 8, 2019

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book to!!! So good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written in a way that was intriguing and mysterious, and the story was different than anything that I've ever read. I completely agree that the character's dynamics are a main plus for this book. For me personally as well, the love interest was not too pushed, and more importantly it did not overpower the previously established focus and importance of the girl's friendship.

      Delete